Alcas was a partnership between ALCOA Aluminum and Case Cutlery located in Olean, New York. Alcoa, which is the world’s number one producer of alumina and aluminum formed Alcas in 1949 with another company, W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company. In 1972 Alcoa bought out CASE – and in 1982 Alcas became a privately held corporation.
CUTCO’s Early Beginnings (FROM CUTCO’S WEB SITE).
ALCOA sought out the expertise of the finest cutlery manufacturer in the U.S. at the time, Case Cutlery in Bradford, Pa., to manufacture the new cutlery line. It was a joint venture that created a new ALCOA company called Alcas Cutlery (AL of ALCOA and the CAS from Case). The new Alcas Cutlery factory in Olean, N.Y. was completed in 1949 and the first set of cutlery was shipped to New Kensington, Pa. that same year.
More than 100 cutlery products are sold under the CUTCO name, as well as a variety of kitchen utensils, gadgets and flatware, sporting and pocket knives, and garden tools.
Alcas Cutlery Corp. 1116 E. State St. Olean, NY 14760